On a road trip recently from Denver, Colorado, to Houston,
Texas, a friend and I encountered a checkpoint just across the Oklahoma state
line. It came out of nowhere, which is funny considering that it’s Oklahoma, home
of flat, rolling plains and the dust bowl. We sat calmly in our car behind the
other cars on the interstate, waiting for our turn with the mirrored
glasses-equipped law enforcement officers, and wondering aloud what all the
fuss was about. My friend thought perhaps there was a fugitive on at large who
was seeking to cross into Colorado and smoke some weed. As the words emerged
from his mouth, our eyes locked, and her hand snaked down toward the glove
compartment, where there were three joints rolled in anticipation of our
reunion with good friends in Oklahoma City. How
could we have forgotten they were there? What were the cannabis possession penalties in Oklahoma? Were
we about to be arrested?
Drug abuse and trafficking and offender
populations have come under much scrutiny lately as new cannabis laws seek to
help shape and determine the prison sentence length of drug-associated
offenders in the penal system of the United States. Numerous questions have
arisen concerning the relationship between drug abuse, drug possession, and the
incidence of recidivism in the ex-offender community. Clearly, drug abuse is a
factor in ex-offender populations, both in initial imprisonment likelihood and
recidivism after release. According to the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP),
“Nearly seven million American adults are under supervision of the state and
Federal criminal justice systems: approximately two million of these
individuals are incarcerated for their crimes, while the remaining five million
are supervised through probation or parole” (2014). 14 percent of female and 25
percent of males incarcerated report substance abuse counseling, and 8 in 10
reentering offenders report drug or alcohol use in the six months prior to
incarceration. This indicates the drug abuse is a significant contributor to
incarceration, which is already a known issue; however, the prison system and
counseling services provided to prisoners and ex-offenders must integrate this
knowledge into their programs. Ex-offenders with drug and alcohol abuse
programs are highly likely to fall back into abuse patterns with the pressures
of release and society reintegration that present themselves.
The ONDCP notes that two-thirds of
incarcerated people are substance abusers or dependents, but less than 15
percent of them receive treatment while incarcerated, upping the ante on
recidivism and repeated substance abuse once they are released back into
society (2014). One-fifth of male and one-quarter of female substance abusing
ex-offenders return to prisons, as compared with 12 and 19 percent of those
with no substance abuse problems. It is also true that more substance abusers
violate parole conditions and commit more crimes than those without drug and
alcohol dependencies; it’s a vicious cycle that results in higher
penalties for both society and the penal system (Huebner, 2014). Substance
abuse must be addressed initially within the penal system in order to prevent
recidivism and increase the success of societal reintegration after offender
release. Ex-offender counseling and drug and alcohol abuse continued treatment
is also required in order to prevent recidivism in parolees as well as those
released from the penal system.
I like your personal story in the beginning. I am guessing the officers did not search the car? I'm glad you all did not get arrested- what a useless crime possession of marijuana is. You point out the substance abuse contributes to recidivism. I think it may simply be correlated with something like stress (whether it is mental such as anxiety or more external things such as job stress) or something else that correlates with crime. Whatever the true connection is, I like that you pointed out the gap in substance abuse treatment programs for inmates. Simply drug testing people is not enough. They need group therapy, and real coping strategies to deal with addiction. They also need to learn social skills since their socializing is probably centered around drug use or whatever illegal activities they were taking part in prior to being arrested.
ReplyDeleteI like your inputs Amanda, you seem to have a lot of great ideas on this topic and I couldn't agree more on every single one.
DeleteThank you!!
John, I have enjoyed your blog so much. Every post is an excellent read and you are a fantastic writer. I love the beginning of this blog with the personal story, the word choice was beautiful and very vivid ( her hand snaked down toward the glove compartment). I have greatly appreciated reading your blogs.
ReplyDeleteHaha thank you Vincent, I've enjoyed all your comments as well.
DeleteThanks!!!
Hello John,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post! I like how you caught your audience’s attention from beginning with a story. Moreover, the statistics that you have presented are eye opening. Getting to know that only less than 15% of the substance abusers or dependents receive treatment while incarcerated was shocking. I thought that rehabilitation organizations and programs are wide spread; however, I think it is the opposite and we still need to work on this in order to reduce recidivism. Thank you for sharing! Very nice blog post!
Yes that was pretty shocking to me as well. I'm glad I chose to do my blog on this topic because all the facts that I've been able to gather have been quite interesting and I'm glad I got to share them with you all.
DeleteJohn, nice post! I also like how you have start your blog post, and it catches my attention. Also, I agree with you that ex- offender counseling and drug and abuse continued treatment is very necessary. Otherwise they can go back and repeat these things. You have explained everything very clearly and in detailed. It was easy for me to read and understand your blog post. Thanks for sharing this interesting post.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading and commenting Sarah.
DeleteInteresting introduction. It seems the officer or officers didn’t gone deep in your glove compartment. Drugs use seems serious problem for those users as well as the society as a whole. The statistical difference between the drug user and others seems a big gap if this was already accounted for other explanatory variables. Those people mostly grow up in neglected neighborhood where the quality of school is poor because of funding system. It also affected by their parents whom often drug users themselves. The third fact, I think, is also the justice system how badly those people treated. Their criminal record follow them throughout their life. They denied access to work and it is difficult to treat life without a source of income; when they denied legal means to earn income, they purse the only means they knew best, which is troubling for them as well as the community.
ReplyDeleteThank you Tesfay, I couldn't agree more!
DeleteI nearly spilled my drink laughing when you wrote “my friend thought perhaps there was a fugitive on at large who was seeking to cross into Colorado and smoke some weed.”
ReplyDeleteGreat introduction and thanks for sharing such a personal story to begin the post. On a serious note though, substance abuse definitely needs to be addressed as you indicated. It seems to be the common denominator for many repeat offenders. It assists with them going to jail and helps get them back in there to. Are ex-offenders not participating in substance abuse programs after leaving prison because they don’t find the sessions useful or are other factors playing a role? Clearly the reintegration of ex-offenders has to become a priority. Great post, John!
I'm sure there are some that thinks the session is a waste of time but you are right, there could be other factors playing a role and that is something I will definitely look at even further. Thank you!!
DeleteThe story to open your blog is awesome. Definitely an attention grabber and made me want to read exactly where you were going with this blog. I am very surprised to see the amount of abusers there are that do not receive treatment. One thing I would ask would be if there are so few because they do not want to participate in these program, or because they are not available to them? But I completely agree with everything you say in the last paragraph. Those with drug dependencies on parole have to find a way to get the drugs and since they just got out of prison, it is hard for them to get a job. There should be a study on reeofenders with known drug dependencies and they should be asked whether their recent crime was related to their drug problem. That would be an interesting statistic.
ReplyDeleteI like how you started your story. I'm guessing the police didn't end up finding the joints? I think it's ridiculous how little rehabilitation there is within the prison system. How can we expect former prisoners to re-assimilate into society if they don't receive any help while they're locked up? We have a system that sets them up for failure and recidivism.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that substance abuse is a prevailing issue today and a lot of those incarcerated are being of illegal substances. I think that is why the legalization of marijuana can possibly help those incarcerated since a lot of them are in for possession of weed. But the others who are dealing with substance abuse issues need help in which to stop. I use to have a friend a couple years ago who became so dependent on meth that he would basically sell his body to whoever would give him drugs. Its real life and people need help dealing with it.
ReplyDelete