To begin, it is important to state that Corianne P. Scally of the National Housing Institute (NHI) states that over 600,000 prisoners were released annually in 2005. Ten years later, changing laws regarding cannabis are increasing this number. The number of prisoners released in 2009 exceeded the number admitted for the first time in 31 years. The U.S. Department of Justice states that 637,400 prisoners were released then, indicating that large numbers of ex-offenders are reentering society at a higher rate today. This blog will focus on the lives of ex-offenders by asking, how do ex-offenders successfully re-assimilate into society after release from prison? In order to answer this question, extensive research has been done in order to learn about ex-offenders’ lives.
This blog will be looking at the following issues, including but not limited to: limited housing, employment problems, recidivism, and alcohol and drug abuse. Anticipated positive life changes include gainful employment, positive relationships, non-recidivism, and continued education. The main focus of this blog is to educate the public and well as those in more scholarly fields about the impact of the prison population that is increasingly reentering society in the United States.
This is possibly one of my favorite topics in all of criminology and psychology. How offenders re-enter society has always been a topic of interest to me. I can not wait to see your next post.
ReplyDeleteThank you Vincent - It's been an interesting topic. By the way, I've been enjoying your blog as well.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy this topic. I watch a lot of prison documentaries and a common issues convicts face is properly assimilating back into society. They lack the proper resources and education to become productive members of society and consequently these convicts usually revert back into their old ways in order to survive. It’s a sad continuous cycle that seems to never end. If our communities put more time in creating programs and lifting the negative stigmas of convicts, perhaps we could see a better end result for them.
ReplyDeleteYou said it all Cristina, it's a sad continuous cycle indeed and I can't wait to talk more on that in my next blog.
DeleteYour topic on the other hand is quite big - Love it! "Having the Choice" opens the floor for debate...can't wait to read all the comments.
The topic for this blog seems like one that is very important and not talked about enough. The way that the prison industrial complex helps keep people coming in and out of prison, it's important to look at what needs to be done to help people acclimate back to life outside of prison. The resources used currently are obviously not effective and unfair. The way that things like poverty and race come together to influence what happens to a person after they leave prison.
ReplyDeleteIt's very sad JayB, a better approach to this issue is needed indeed and I can't wait to see what I find out.
DeleteI like your topic. In my previous projects, I focused a lot on recidivism of offenders and found many interesting things. I focused on the parole and probation officers role in the recidivism last project and that seemed to have some good elements and results that needed to be tested a little more. With your blog I am just wondering if there are specific types offenders that you are going to focus on? Narrowing down your field might be a little easier to be more specific and find clearer statistics.
ReplyDeleteI'll consider your advise Brandon - Thank you!! Looking forward to that blog of yours as well - great topic!
DeleteWell you are covering a topic that I think should be priority in society- and unfortunately it is not. Prisoners are very low on the list,. Prisoners often lose the resources they received in once they are released, one of which includes health care. Not only this, but they are often thrown back into society without ID cards and money...how are they expected to get a job and apply for necessarily needs of living? If they can't, surely they will have to commit more crimes to make a living. I think that case workers need to be supplied, and quite honestly a therapist or parole officer (PO) for a substantial amount of time after release. We need to do what we can to keep them away from the system, away from crime, and additionally providing a PO can protect society. Ex-offenders need to have care extended for a certain amount of time, I believe that whatever is mandated should be extended.
ReplyDeleteI must say the assimilation into society after being released from prison is a very difficult and complicated process. What I do want to emphasize here is that I think society should emphasize a little on the content of the crime that was committed. Normally, as soon as an employer found out that the job candidate was in prison, he or she is immediately eliminated from the possible candidate to get the job. Sometimes they committed a crime that is accidental and the person is essentially and partially innocent. We should not be too discriminative when it comes to people with prison experiences.
ReplyDeleteJohn, this is a great topic that Americans should know about! Personally I have met a share of ex-offenders and know how they have struggled to assimilate back into society after being in jail. My heart goes out to those who have gone to jail for something minor. For example, one of my dear friends went to jail for a DUI when he was in his early twenties (he was driving his friends car back home because they were more intoxicated than he was), he had outstanding unpaid tickets, did not show to court, because he had to move around a lot and had a suspended license/no car/money. Needless to say it was very hard for him to find a good job or keep a job that did not involve quick money; bartending. (He dealt with depression, and low self esteem for a while when he reentered society, but over the past year I'm happy to say that he has gotten his life back on track; he's back in school and has a car/his license back due to the love and support of his girlfriend. I think its important to be sympathetic with those reentering our society after being jail. In general I think that people shouldn't judge someone for their mistakes or past.
ReplyDelete